Monday, June 15, 2009

"New Age Abuse" by Sunny Sun-Downer



Here's the most recent one folks! (A bit more edited this time in the Desert Valley Star newspaper [and not posted on their website yet]... But, should you have access to the print version around the low or high desert, you're welcome to compare them & tell me which one you like more: the original story as I wrote it here, or the edited version, & I can forward your comment [unless it's negative- HA! HA!])


New Age Abuse by Sunny Sun-Downer
To quote the Dalai Lama of Tibet: “My religion is simple… My religion is kindness.” These are words that can really change the world, with all its divisive religious factionalism & the problems that manifest from that. And, Lord knows (no pun intended), I try to be kind, even when I’m particularly p.o.’d about something. So I will endeavor to remain kind as I breach this topic: Abuse of the “New Age” phenomenon (and I apologize for relying on this term “New Age,” as what we’re talking about here is derived from something definitely “Ancient Age” in actuality, but until someone offers a better term- OK, how about “Golden Age?”)
In my last article in this wonderful publication, I alluded to Hatha Yoga being used to sell products from air fresheners to insurance and mattresses. And I’m OK with that, because free market capitalism, for better or worse, has helped spread goodness around the world, and in this particular case, it’s helping to create the acceptance of what was up to recent in the Dysfunctional Western Society (as I label it), a laughable topic: yoga and meditation.
Previously-critical comments like, “Right, you think you can just ‘Ommmm’ your troubles away, don’t you?” or “What is becoming a ‘human pretzel’ going to do for you, really?” have transformed into others such as a doctor saying, “Well, I don’t know- maybe it is the Hatha Yoga (and/or meditation) you’ve been doing, but something’s been lowering your blood pressure and your apparent stress level as well!”
But what has fired up my ire? After resisting talk from friends for some time now, about how wonderful this or that social networking site is- I just finally ‘sold my soul’ & joined up with one of the ones that I have long had an aversion to (and don’t get me started as to why, but here’s a hint: Is George Sick Or Well?). My fellow journalist Art Kunkin has been, in his recent articles here, addressing the topic of working with the “chakras” (energy centers within the human body) to reverse the aging process with ancient Tibetan teachings- Anti-aging being something that is of great interest to a lot of people. Therefore, I find the timing for this diatribe AH-mazing (“Ah” is the “seed-syllable” connected with the “throat chakra” in the Tibetan system).
I noticed a “friend” on the site had taken a quiz titled, “Which of Your Chakras Is Most Open Right Now?” Naturally, being the “New Age Sensitive Guy” that I am, I likewise thought I might like to experience this quiz. But, man… did I have another ‘think’ coming! There was the expected list of questions with their subsequent choices, such as, “What is your favorite color?,” “What is your closest personality trait?,” What would you be seen wearing out on the town?,” What do you feel life is about?,” among others. OK so far. Then, the next one smashed me in the “3rd eye,” (so to speak): “Which are you most likely to get arrested for?,” with the only choices being “1)Brawling, 2)Obsession, 3)Stalking, 4)Stealing, 5)Money Laundering, 6)Threatening Letters, and finally, 7)Protesting.” That’s it? No “Other,” or “I don’t intend on ever getting arrested?” WAIT! Forget “Other!” and “I don’t…” So, what, exactly is my (tree-hugging, vegetarian) beef? What is this question doing in a quiz that’s supposed to be concerning “Higher Consciousness” in the first place?!
I default to, of all things, a capitalist-generated (as in TV commercial) saying that I saw recently: “THAT IS WRONG ON SO MANY LEVELS!” Instead of following my inclination to vent further, I will ‘channel’ my extreme distaste with the “pond scum” consciousness-level human being(s) that THAT came from (with apologies to all pond scum!), into some words on the “Throat Chakra” (ironically the chakra that I was given as “most open” in this “New-Age-Farce-Of-A-Quiz,” after choosing “Protesting,” because at that point I would’ve been willing to be arrested for “Protesting” this cyber-insanity)!
The first four chakras (in the Hindu system): at the base of the spine, the pelvis, the solar plexus, and the heart, correspond to the four elements (respectively) earth, water, fire and air. The fifth, or “Throat Chakra” is the consciousness of space alone, and this is the characteristic of the element ether. Again, in conjunction with Mr. Kunkin’s great work, I quote Peter Rendel from his book Introduction to the Chakras: “The ether, or quintessence, as it was termed by alchemists, is the mixing bowl, so to speak, within which the lower elements are formed… and to which each returns when its period of activity is ended and another element manifests in its place. They are really modifications of the basic ether which can turn itself into any of them. In modern radio terms, the ether is the carrier wave for the elements.” So in ancient theoretical terms you might add, “In the beginning was the Word.”
I’ve expounded on the Throat Chakra here, because this chakra involves “sound” and our “word” manifest through the “voice.” This is the “vortex” of the meta-physical energy that we put out into the outer world on a physical level (whether in cyber-space or ether-space). Our words have power in this “Golden Age,” for the good of humanity or the opposite…For use or abuse. So what do you want to broadcast?
-Sunny is the director of the HAALOS Healing Arts Center, 12078 Palm Dr., Desert Hot Springs CA 92240, for stressed-out humans in need of re-centering body work (Also home to the Desert Karmapa Meditation Center). His past articles for the Desert Valley Star can be viewed at www.conchustimes.blogspot.com email: conchustimes@yahoo.com (760) 673- 7580

No comments: